Monday, March 24, 2008

One month ago

As I write this, I'm sitting in my classroom, waiting for my 6:30 class to start. Mondays are tough, leaving at 7 in the morning and not getting home until 10. That's a lot of hours I don't get to see the kid. I'll be leaving early Wednesday morning to go down to Louisville for a few days. I'll be back late Thursday but I know it's going to be really hard, being away from my family for the first time since Max arrived.

The month has been spectacular. He's been a great baby. He cries when he's hungry or cold, but those are easy things to fix. He's very peaceful and calm. We're so lucky to have him. We love the time we spend with him, even the tough times.

One month ago, Bobbie Jo and I hadn't met him yet (she was in the middle of her epidural), and had no idea how our lives would change, no idea of the size of love we we have for the little guy we would meet six hours later.

My mother gave Max the book "Guess how much I love you" yesterday for an Easter present. Being unfamiliar with the book, I gave it a quick read. The story involves a conversation between a rabbit and his/her child. As the young rabbit responds to the question of "Guess how much I love you?" with his answers "this much", "that much" etc. the parent is always able to one up him. The story ends with the young rabbit coming up with the biggest thing he can, "From the earth to the moon". The parent agrees that is very far, and the child dozes off to sleep. The parent walks away thinking to himself "I love you from the earth to the moon, and back." The story quickly brought a tear to my eye, and is difficult to write about even now.

Who would think that a 5 inch square cardboard book could express something that so many others could never put into words.

Max, we love you from the Earth to the Moon and back, and then some!

Mom and Dad