Thursday, February 28, 2008

Having spent a few days with him....


I've really wanted to get more written for the blog, and thought I would have tons of time, but it hasn't really worked out that way. Things have been great at the hospital. I haven't been worrying about work, pretty much just been sitting around, looking at my son. Bobbie Jo has been having a rough time, she's not the kind of person who likes to be out of commission, and it has been very difficult for her to take it easy and let herself heal.

I've been enjoying being a caregiver to this little dude, and wouldn't have a problem being here for another week so that I can dedicate all of my time to my wife and Max, but unfortunately we have to return to the real world sooner or later. Looks like today may be the day. I think we'll probably leave sometime this afternoon.

I changed my first diaper yesterday. Not just Max's first diaper, but the first diaper I can remember ever changing. It went like this:
  • I took off poopie diaper
  • Kid pooped on the towel
  • Kid peed
  • I freaked and hollered "push the [nurse's] button I need help!"
  • Kid stomped in pile of poop
  • Kid rubbed his feet together
  • I got it on my hands
  • and on and on.....
It eventually went ok, and I was pretty pleased with myself when it was done. Even the nurse said I did a good job, but they are all pretty good at making us feel as though we've done something extraordinary even though we really haven't.

This whole thing is more incredible than I could have imagined, more than anyone could every explain, and more than I could ever put into words. I realize now that our entire lives lead up to this time, and that the years following Monday are what I've been preparing for my whole life without knowing it.

I've taken a ton of photos and video. I'm not ready to get the video up, but here are some of the best of the photos. Hope you enjoy them. Click on the picture below to go to the full gallery.

Maxwell Steven