Friday, May 9, 2014

Saying Goodbye

8 years ago Bobbie Jo and I had only been married for 2 years. We didn't have any kids and neither did most of our friends. I think we were both still taking classes. It seems like a lifetime ago.

In late March the four of us moved from our 'starter home', to the house we hope to be in for a very long time. Due to some of the problems with the real estate market, we made the decision to rent our old house to some of Bobbie Jo's coworkers. With 75 days between moving out and the tenants moving in, we left more stuff in the old place than we should have.

Over the last few weeks Bobbie Jo and I have been clearing it out. Even though I was thrilled to move into the new house, it is just that- a house. Our new 2400 sq ft house is not yet a home. Not fully broken in and few, if any, memories at all.

Seeing the empty old place is pretty emotional. So many memories.


I was (am) so proud of the room that we made for Max. He was 5 pounds when we brought him home to it. It used to have his crib and mobile. He took naps in there. We read books that he has long since outgrown. When we packed it up it contained a bunk bed, a million legos, and books that he can read on his own! 


Yeah, Lily's room was never as great as Max's. It didn't mean I love her less, its more that Max was keeping us plenty busy in the months before she was born (and she was the child who took my 'office' from me).
Disassembling her crib, the crib that they both used, was weird. We will never again use it as a crib. Now she has big girl furniture. I don't think she's big enough for it. I'd like to see her stay in a crib.

We didn't use the living room much (prior to it becoming a bit of a playroom). Our christmas trees were always in the same corner. Bobbie Jo and I would always argue when putting them up. The simple ones of just the two of us, to the havok (and wonderment) of our christmases with the kids. Our cats (Emma, Rizzo, and Neo) loved laying on the carpet in the sun here. Only Neo is still with us.


The stuff filled a truck. If the memories and good times were packed, they would have needed more than just the one. I know we will create many more memories in the new house. I know that it will soon become our home. I can't wait to see what the future will look like for the four of us. 

The house on Woodlawn will always have a special place in my heart, but Kirkwall will be the home we were all in together from the beginning, as a family.