Saturday, August 10, 2013

He can read

For some strange reason Max has absolutely no interest in learning new things. That isn't to say that he doesn't like to learn, but rather he doesn't want to learn new skills.

He has been very vocal about not wanting to learn how; to tie his shoes, ride a two-wheel bike, or read. We know he's smart, and have thought that he might be able to read for a long time, it was well over a year ago that I wrote out three-letter words for him and he ready every one. We've never been able to get him to actually read something though.

Today, as we were signing a birthday card for a birthday party he was going to, he read the entire card out loud. There were a lot of words, and pretty long ones too. It was obvious he wasn't reading from memory based on how he had trouble with a few of the words and the mistakes he made.

I told him how proud I was of him and told him we could try to start reading some of his Early Reader Star Wars books. I think he was a little interested.

He then asked if he could have a 'surprise' since I was so proud of him.

"Making your dad proud should be reward enough", I said.

I don't think that's what he had in mind.