Monday, May 27, 2013

Max seems so grown up

Max is 5.
He seems so grown up. Most of the time he doesn't seem like my "little" guy anymore. Gone is Sesame Street and Elmo. The baby toys are all in the basement waiting for Lily to play with them. He's more interested in Star Wars than anything else. He's hardly played with his Car Buddies in months. He plays games on his iPad, not 'Learning Games' but actual games; Angry Birds, Pac Man, Friut Ninja. He watches cartoons with superheroes and Transformers in them. The days of him only being interested in what we want him to watch are gone.

He still likes some of the things he's always liked; his Birds, his giraffe blanket, Caillou. But sometimes he seems so 'old'.

I relish the times that he still runs up to me and tells me I'm "the best daddy in the world". I love watching him play with his sister. I love it when (on the weekends when I sleep on the couch), he comes down to sleep with me "just for fun".

A couple of days ago I caught him on the couch playing his iPad. He wasn't playing any of the games, but was playing his Sesame Street app and loudly singing along with whatever song went with the letter H. It made me smile more than I have in a long time. He does still have lots of little kid in him.

Don't grow up to fast buddy. Not only will you miss it when it's gone, but you're going to break your Daddy's heart.