Thursday, October 25, 2012

Do NOT stand on a folding chair

This phrase has been said to Max a thousand times by his mother.
On Monday evening, said mother decided to dust some furniture requiring a bit of a boost. The folding chair seemed like the perfect solution.

I received a call around 7:50 pm (10 minutes before the band I was about to see was scheduled to take the stage). Bobbie Jo was in tears, shouting "I think I broke my arm!". I rushed home immediately to find her lying on the floor in immense pain, clutching her left arm close to her body. She had been lying on the floor for about 15 minutes before she was able to get the strength to get to a phone to call me. Lily was crawling around downstairs, and Max was at the library with Gagi.

Minutes later Gagi and Max walked in the door. Max burst into tears seeing his mom in such pain, and I told my mom she would be watching the kids. Bobbie Jo and I rushed to the emergency room. We left the ER four hours later, with confirmation that she had broken her arm. One of the bones had been shattered where it meets the elbow. She was in terrible pain, and no amount of painkillers was able to help.

We left the house this morning at 5:30 am in hopes of getting an early slot in the OR. As I write this (Thursday at 1:30 pm), Bobbie Jo has been in surgery since 11:30 in an attempt to find all of the pieces, re-assemble them, and get her arm back in working order. If they are unable to 'put the pieces back together' they will put in a prosthetic "bone end".

The week has been nuts, but luckily we have our mothers who have pitched in to watch the kids through the various commitments we have had due to this accident. Sharon was even kind enough to do all of the laundry in the house.

We'll be very glad to have Bobbie Jo free of pain, and I know she'll be overjoyed to be able to cuddle with and hug Max and Lily.

I'll keep you updated.