Monday, August 31, 2009

Amazed

A week or two ago, on a whim, I asked Max if he could point to the "square" in a book of shapes. To my astonishment, he did. Same for the circle, triangle, and star.
He's been able to pick out Big Bird, Grover, Cookie, and all of the other Sesame Street folks, but this shape thing shocked me. Neither of us can remember actually going over shapes with him. It's obviously something he picked up while we read his books but not something we actively taught him.
We're trying more and more things, to see what he remembers. He's able to pick out quite a few items in his alphabet book, he can flip through the pages in his animal magazine and pickout various things. It's absolutely unbelievable. Bobbie Jo has equated where he's at right now to "I can't speak the language but I understand it". I think if we knew the full range of the stuff he understands right now, it would terrify us!