Friday, June 13, 2008

Mortality

When Ben called today to see if I had heard the news that Tim Russert (NBC News Correspondent, Host of "Meet the Press") had died I was stunned. As a long time fan of Meet the Press, a part of my Sunday morning routine, I felt as though I had lost someone I knew well. 58 years old, what appears to be a heart attack killing him while he was at work.

I began thinking about him dying at that young age (I never thought I would consider 58 young), and Bobbie Jo's two acquaintances who had heart attacks in their 30s (the 32 year old dead, the 35 year old recovering). You really start to contemplate your mortality when you have a kid.

Over the many hours of coverage/remembrance of him, there was constant talk of the family man, the father, and the incredible friend he was. Someone with so much success and so much fortune, his family and his son were the real joys of his life.

I may never become the moderator of a major network news show, but I don't think that's what mattered to Tim Russert. I can continue to strive to be the best son, husband, father, brother, and friend that I can be. That I can do.